Friday, May 05, 2017

Q & A with Bowdie Otte

Bowdie Otte, from Norfolk, Nebraska in the USA. Bowdie is the driver and owner of the single Allison V12 powered Limited Modified Tractor called ,,Warhawk´´. His son Blake also driving a Limited Mod Tractor called ,,Frequent Flyer´´. 



pullingworld.com: What are you doing in your normal life?
Bowdie Otte: I live in Norfolk, Nebraska with my wife Heather and two sons Blake and Gage. I am an automotive technology instructor at the Northeast Community College.

pullingworld.com: What do you like to do in your free time, except Tractor Pulling?
Bowdie Otte: Some things I do other than Tractor Pulling are hmm.... good question we recently went to Hawaii with friends. I think I probably could do more travelling in the future. I plan on going to Germany in the near future but that will still be for Tractor Pulling.

pullingworld.com: What do you like about Tractor Pulling?
Bowdie Otte: I enjoy all aspects of Pulling from building, competing, socializing and promoting. I literally talk to someone every day that I have met through Pulling.

pullingworld.com: What was your first Tractor Pulling event?
Bowdie Otte: The first events I probably remember attending were the Wayne County Fair and Hinton, Iowa Pull. My dad was a huge Pulling fan so we even attended a national event called ,,Farmfest 76" in Minnesota. Very disappointing it was rained out. We did get some pictures of Loyd McVeys Super Banana and the Allison powered Honker. I think I have a picture of Dave Stangle Solid Junk Tractor as well. New comers to Pulling will not recognize those names.

pullingworld.com: What is your favourite Event / Pulling track?
Bowdie Otte: I have several but Wisner, Nebraska is probably my favorite all tough the 2017 Cornhusker Classic ranks high on my list as well.

pullingworld.com: When and where have you driven a Pulling Tractor for the first time?
Bowdie Otte: I would say my first event competing would have been somewhere around 1987 in Columbus, Nebraska. That was 30 years ago. It was with a 440 Chrysler econorod.

pullingworld.com: What was your biggest success?
Bowdie Otte: My biggest success in pulling was winning both sessions in Wisner, Nebraska and taking home the ,,Thunderbolt´´ in 2015 and Blake winning it again in 2016.

pullingworld.com: Which Pulling classes do you like too?  
Bowdie Otte: My favorite class has always been the Modified Tractors, but in the recent years I have lost some interest in the big Modified classes that are hemi dominant. Now I would rather watch the variety in the lighter Modified classes at the State Levels. Even though they have way less horsepower they are way more exciting to watch with variety of Aircraft engines, Chevy, Hemi, turbo Chevy and turbines.

pullingworld.com: What was your biggest disappointment?
Bowdie Otte: Probably my biggest disappointment was the first year Pulling that 440Chrysler. It probably made 400 hp on a good day.

pullingworld.com: Which things must be changed in the future of the Tractor Pulling sport?
Bowdie Otte: Some things I think that need to be chaned in Pulling would be a larger fan base and more sponsorships in Pulling. The weekly radio show ,,Let´s Grow Pulling´´ is a good start along with weekly TV shows by NTPA, PPL and Outlaw. It all helps.

pullingworld.com: What are your plans for the future in Tractor Pulling?
Bowdie Otte: I would like to explore the option of either a V12 diesel Tank engine, twin Duramax, or Cummins, or a twin turbine powered Light Modified. I have 3 chassis being built im my shop right now waiting for power plant decisions.

pullingworld.com: What was for you the most important moment in the sport? 
Bowdie Otte: Probably the most memorable times in pulling for was being able to see the legends in pulling like Art Arfons, Gardner Stone, Banter Brothers, Tim Engler, Mike Holden, just to name a few.
The Copenhagen/Skoal Pulling Series back in the late 80s was pulling at its best in my book. The Nebraska State Fair in the mid to late 80s is probably what got me hooked on Pulling.

pullingworld.com: What was your favourite Pulling Tractor project in the workshop during a winter? 
Bowdie Otte: A few years back we built a couple of Tractors with junk yard parts from the ground up. One had 3 GM LS engines and one had 4. My son Blake and Andrew Beckman even built a Mini with a LS Motor that was super competitive built entirely out of salvage yard junk. It´s a great way to get young people  into the sport without spending tons of money.

pullingworld.com: Something you want to say?
Bowdie Otte: I would like to challenge everyone in Pulling to take a young kid under there wing and teach them how to build a puller or help them get started in the sport. Everyone has frames, tires, wheels, engines and a lots of parts setting around. If we want this sport to grow its very difficult to get a young guy involved without someone to help them out. Even let them use your shop and equipment to get into the ,,Pulling World´´.

pullingworld.com: Thank you for your time and good luck this season! 

No comments: